The Barcelona Card is the best way to experience Barcelona on a budget.
The card offers visitors a discounted entry into all the main museums and galleries, including shops, restaurants, and bars. It also includes unlimited use of Barcelona’s public transport from buses, trains, trams, and the metro within zone 1. You can use the card for 24–120 hours from the first validation.
Barcelona is one of Europe’s most popular destinations–but you don’t want to break the bank during your stay. You can visit these fantastic attractions without spending a fortune with Barcelona Card.
This article will provide you with an overview of the Card – the discount tourist card issued by the Barcelona tourism board.
Benefits of Acquiring a Barcelona Card During Your Trip in Barcelona
Unlimited Transport on Barcelona’s Major Public Transport System
No more lost holiday time queuing for travel tickets. Once you have the Barcelona Card public transport, you’ll have more freedom to explore within the city centre (Zone 1), which covers Barcelona’s whole city and the major tourist attraction. Here are the transport systems you can use your card for:
- Airport train
- Airport metro line L9 (T1 and T2) or the TMB bus from Barcelona airport to the city.
- From the airport to the city centre, you may travel for free on the RENFE train, the airport metro connection, or the TMB N46 bus (but not the Aerobus).
Save More Travel Money
Buying a tourist pass is a wise choice when travelling to Barcelona. You can save up to 15%-25% on tours and attractions. In addition, the card would be a good option for people who will most likely make multiple trips to Catalonia over a year.
One of the biggest advantages of this card is that it has no hidden cost. That’s one less thing to worry about on vacation, which is always a plus.
Get Discounts on Souvenirs
Special discounts are also available at the official Barcelona Turisme souvenir shop. This place is near the Plaça de Catalunya square tourist information office.
- Barcelona Card Discount: 15%
Get Discounts on Restaurants
The Barcelona Card gives you at least a 10% to 15% discount on food and drinks at many restaurants throughout the city.
Get Discounts on Performance and Shows
The Barcelona Card also gives you a discounted price for shows, as well as performances by some of Spain’s top musicians and dancers. And the biggest discount comes from the tickets for larger venues, such as Palau de la Música Catalana.
Get Discounts on Museums and Art Galleries
The Barcelona card will provide you with significant discounts on admission to several famous museums and art galleries in the city. Here are just a few examples of the discounts you will receive:
- Museum de Historia de Catalunya: 15%
- MNAC museum: 15%
- Maritime Museum: 15%
- MACBA: 15%
- Casa Batlló: 15%
Improved Personal Security
Petty theft and pickpocketing are problems in Barcelona, particularly around the stations where visitors have to pay for transportation tickets. Because pickpockets are aware of where visitors hide their money, this is a good practice to avoid.
Moreover, you don’t have to pull out your wallets or purses while using the Barcelona Card because your transportation has already been paid for in advance. Also, if you store your Barcelona Card in a separate area from the rest of your belongings, no pickpocketers will be able to figure out where you keep your money.
Also, the Barcelona Card is a great way to take care of your personal security. When you have the card, you don’t have to show your passport more often.
Barcelona Map and Guide Are Included in the Barcelona Card
Along with your Barcelona Card, you will receive a map and guide, which will be beneficial in assisting you in navigating around the city’s key areas of interest and tourist sites.
You would, however, need to augment this map with a decent reference book if you wanted a more thorough map.
What Is the Cost of the Barcelona Card?
The price of a Barcelona card depends on two factors:
- How many days is the card good for.
- Whether the Barcelona card is intended for adults or children.
Barcelona card price for adults as of February 2020:
- 3 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €46 (54.33USD)
- 4 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €56 (66.14USD)
- 5 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €61 (72.04USD)
Barcelona card price for a child (age under 12) as of February 2020:
- 3 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €22
- 4 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €28
- 5 Day Pass Barcelona Card – €33
How to Buy a Barcelona Card?
There are two options in buying your discount card:
Buy online: You may get your Barcelona Card in an easy and straightforward method by ordering it online.
When you purchase your discount card online, you may pick it up at the Barcelona airport tourist information desk and then use it to ride for free on the RENFE train to the city centre. To pick up your card, you will need to bring both the voucher you purchased online and identification with you.
Tourist office: Alternatively, you may acquire the Barcelona Card at one of the tourist information offices located around the city of Barcelona.
How Many Days Is the Card Good for Barcelona?
You can get a Barcelona card valid for 2-5 days. The validity of the card affects the pricing of the card.
Does the Barcelona Card Cover the Sagrada Família?
No, it does not include admission to the Sagrada Familia. However, if you like to visit the Sagrada Familia, we recommend purchasing your tickets online in advance due to the attraction’s popularity.
Things to Remember
- The transportation pass of Barcelona card does not cover night buses.
- The guide is always available in all six languages (English, Catalan, Spanish, French, German, and Italian), so there is no need to select a language preference during the booking process.
- You can activate your Barcelona city card the day you begin using it, not on the day of purchase. It will stay valid for the duration of time specified by the kind of card you purchase: 3, 4, or 5 consecutive days (calendar days, not 24-hour periods). To verify the card, write the date you intend to begin using it on the card’s front side.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the policy on using face masks and attendees’ health?
The following are the policies regarding face masks and attendee health:
- Travelers in public places must wear face masks.
- Guides who work in public places have to wear face masks.
- Which policies apply to sanitization?
The following are the policies on sanitisation:
- All travellers and staff are encouraged to carry hand sanitisers with them at all times.
- Congested areas or high-traffic areas are regularly sanitised.
- Travel gears and equipment to use are regularly sanitised.
- Public vehicles are regularly sanitised.
- What is the policy on social distancing?
The following are the policies on social distancing:
- Social distancing should be maintained during your trip
- Contactless payments are implemented for gratuities and add-ons
Traveling is one of the most exciting and enriching things you can do. It is a chance to explore the world and discover new things about yourself and the world around you. However, traveling can be an expensive endeavor and that is why the Barcelona Card is the best way to experience Barcelona on a budget. Have fun and save money at the same time.
I hope you found this article helpful as you plan your trip to Barcelona. We’ll keep giving you more guides to excite you and bring your adventurous spirit back to life! You can see some of them below.