Barcelona, Spain’s gem, is known for its culture, architecture, and stunning beaches. But the city’s culinary scene is a star in its own right. From seafood fresh off the boat to innovative tapas and traditional fare, it’s a food lover’s paradise. And guess what? Enjoying Barcelona’s gastronomy doesn’t need to be pricey.
In this article, we’re going on a tasty tour of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. Your palate (and wallet) will thank you.
Why Barcelona’s Culinary Scene Stands Out
Barcelona’s food culture is a feast for the senses. Imagine centuries-old Catalan cuisine meeting modern gastronomy. The city’s bounty of seafood and fresh produce gives it an edge. The city is a gourmet’s dream, from the buzzing Mercat de la Boqueria to tapas bars, bakeries, and food shops.
But what makes Barcelona’s culinary scene unique is its approachable vibe. Sure, you’ll find Michelin-starred joints, but the local, budget-friendly spots serving up a flavorsome tradition steal the show. Think cozy bodegas with home-cooked meals or lively tapas bars packed with locals. These gems serve authentic tastes of Barcelona’s vibrant food scene without emptying your pockets.
So, get ready to tuck into some unique food experiences with our guide to the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. Trust us; it’s going to be delicious!
Best Affordable Restaurants in Barcelona
1. Croq & Roll
Kicking off our list is my personal favorite, Croq & Roll, a restaurant that’s sure to rank high in your quest for the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. Located in the vibrant Gràcia neighborhood, Croq & Roll takes the simple Spanish croqueta to a new level.
- Menu: You won’t just find traditional ham and cheese-filled croquetas here. This spot is all about variety, offering a plethora of fillings, from meat and fish to vegetarian options. It’s a croqueta paradise!
- Prices: With each hearty croqueta priced around €1.30, you can sample a wide range without splurging. A lunch of a few croquetas and some bravas to share could set you back as little as €6.
- Address: Travessera de Gràcia, 233, 08012
La Cova Fumada, tucked away in the heart of Barcelona, is one of the city’s best affordable restaurants. This local favorite may not have the glitz of high-end dining, but it certainly doesn’t skimp on flavor or authenticity!
- Menu: The menu is straightforward and changes daily, featuring staple dishes and daily specials, all written on a board for that authentic local feel.
- Prices: Tapas begin at a wallet-friendly €3, allowing you to taste various dishes without worrying about the bill.
- Address: C/ del Baluard, 56, 08003
Think tasting menus are synonymous with hefty price tags? Sésamo, one of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona, will make you think again. This chic vegetarian restaurant in Raval offers an indulgent experience without the usual costs.
- Menu: A rotating seven-course tasting menu awaits you, with standout dishes like melted provolone cheese with green tomatoes and blue cheese gnocchi paired with a delightful beetroot and hazelnut sauce. The chef loves keeping things interesting!
- Prices: At just €25 per person, including two drinks and water.
- Address: Carrer de Sant Antoni Abat, 52, 08001
Even the most die-hard carnivores have tried Sésamo, only to become regulars.
Mosquito, tucked away in the lively Born district, is among the top affordable restaurants in Barcelona, serving authentic Asian cuisine paired with an extensive craft beer selection.
- Menu: Your taste buds will embark on a flavorful journey with options like steamed buns, gyoza, meat specialties, and traditional sides like edamame and kimchi.
- Prices: You can enjoy a hearty meal for just €15 per person. While the craft beers may be a bit pricier than your average caña, they offer an impressive range of local and European artisan brews, making them well worth the cost.
- Address: C/ dels Carders, 46, 08003
The Good Burger, with its seven branches scattered around Barcelona, is a well-loved Spanish chain offering some of the best affordable burgers in the city. They may be accessible on the pocket, but their burgers and fries boast some unique and delectable flavors.
- Menu: Specializing in burgers and fries, their creations are simply delightful. The variety of options to customize your meal keeps things exciting.
- Prices: Each burger is priced at about €4. You can pair your burger with fries and a drink for a little extra – it’s fantastic value for your money. Plus, they run a 2-for-1 offer on burgers every Thursday, making your meal even more affordable.
Looking for the ultimate budget-friendly dining experience in Barcelona? Look no further than 100 Montaditos. This popular Spanish chain, with over 350 outlets across Spain and seven in Barcelona, is one of the best affordable restaurants in the city.
- Menu: As the name suggests, 100 Montaditos specializes in small sandwiches, or “montaditos,” offering 100 different filling combinations. Additionally, they serve various side dishes like fries, nachos, and cheesy bites, adding even more diversity to your meal options.
- Prices: While their prices are already wallet-friendly, on Wednesdays and Sundays, the restaurant runs an irresistible €1 deal for nearly everything on the menu. You can sample a variety of sandwiches and still likely spend under €10.
7. Pai Mei
Tucked in the corner of the Glòries shopping center in Barcelona’s northeast, you’ll find a hidden gem – an exciting noodle bar revered as one of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. This spot embraces a unique “build your own” system that will have you returning for more.
- Menu: Start with a base of rice or noodles paired with your choice of sauce. Each base has eggs and veggies, so you will only need to pile on a few extras. Then, top it all off with as many add-ons as you desire.
- Prices: The beauty of this place lies in its pricing. The strong bases start at a mere €4.50. Feel like adding more flavor? Extras only cost between €0.50 and €1.50 each.
- Address: Av. Diagonal, 208 Les Glóries Mall, 08018
Elisabets, standing strong amidst the city’s culinary evolution, is a classic tapas bar and one of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. It’s your go-to spot for breakfast, lunch, or dinner from dawn to dusk.
- Menu: Saddle up at the bar for a snack or enjoy a sit-down meal in the ‘restaurant’ section, where you’ll find a menu brimming with traditional Catalan dishes and Spanish tapas.
- Prices: Many dishes start at just a few euros, allowing you to sample various flavors without stretching your budget. A well-rounded meal here can comfortably come at around €10 per person.
- Address: Carrer de les Ramelleres, 3, 08001
9. Gat Blau
This gem among the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona presents a creative, traditional, and organic set lunch menu for under €12. With six of the eight options being vegetarian, the daily variety is impressive.
- Menu: Feast on unique dishes such as veal cannelloni wrapped in courgette or the traditional Catalan delight, ‘patata emmascarada.’
- Prices: While the lunch menu is a steal, dinner offers a taste of haute cuisine for around €25. A true gastronomic treat without the steep price tag.
- Address: C/ del Comte Borrell, 122, 08015
10. Bar Casi
Tucked away in a quieter part of Gràcia, up a steep road, you’ll find Bar Casi – a bustling hub that easily ranks among the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. This neighborhood gem might not stun you with elaborate décor, and the six-table setting might strike you as clean. But don’t be fooled; there’s more than meets the eye.
- Menu: They offer complete lunches and a great homemade set lunch menu that changes regularly, providing variety to frequent visitors.
- Prices: A hearty, homemade set lunch can be enjoyed for approximately €12, a price that belies the quality of the fare.
- Address: Carrer de Massens, 74, 08024
11. Granja Mabel
If you’re looking for a family-owned gem that has evolved into one of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona, look no further than this Marina hotspot. The restaurant received a modern makeover when passed down to the next generation, but it kept its heart in the kitchen, delivering lunch menus that are hard to beat.
- Menu: The selection may seem simple, with four starters and four main dishes, but expect each dish to be a testament to culinary creativity and skill. Think along the lines of macaroni turned on its head, stuffed with chicken and bechamel – a delight!
- Prices: A sumptuous meal here won’t set you back more than €12 per person
- Address: Carrer de la Marina, 114, 08018
12. Mà de Morter
In Barcelona’s Les Corts neighborhood, Mà de Morter is a charming restaurant featuring beautiful brick and wood elements. It has easily earned its spot on our list of the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona.
- Menu: The menu highlights the best of Catalan cuisine. Expect dishes like ‘trinxat’ (a hearty mix of potatoes, cabbage, and pork), glazed rabbit, chickpeas with calamari, ‘botifarra’ sausage with ‘piste’ vegetable tomato sauce, caramelized apple salad, and grilled sea bream with vegetables. All are cooked slowly and precisely using fresh ingredients.
- Prices: The value for money here is astounding, with satisfying, flavorful meals at around €11.
- Address: Travessera de les Corts, 118-120, Local 2, 08028
Their claim to fame? Sizzling stir-frys, cooked to perfection with fresh ingredients right before your eyes in an open kitchen. Here, the wizards of the wok dance with fire to whip up your custom order, delivering a crunchy, flavor-packed meal that’s as healthy as it is delicious.
- How to order: Choose your base, including traditional noodles or rice or newer additions like quinoa, buckwheat, and seasonal courgette. Then, you get to select from up to 15 add-ons and a special sauce to make the dish your own truly.
- Price: With an average dish cost of around €8, it’s clear why this spot ranks among the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona.
- Address: La Rambla, 95, 08002
14. The Quick Geek
The Quick Greek in Gràcia is another stellar pick when scouting for the best affordable restaurants in Barcelona. True to its name, this eatery dishes fast and flavorful Greek takeaway food, perfect for on-the-go explorers.
- What’s on the menu? Expect generously filled pitas, tasty fries, and refreshing drinks. Topped with fresh salad and tangy sauce, you can choose from various fillings, including different meats, cheeses, and falafel.
- Pricing: A pita meal with fries and a drink costs less than €7 – a genuine bargain for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Address: Calle Asturies 67, Plaza del Diamante, 08012
Thinking about a picnic at Ciutadella Park? Head over to La Fábrica del Taco, just a few minutes from the park’s north end.
- Menu: This spot is a haven for Mexican food lovers, boasting a menu filled with delectable tacos, quesadillas, and burritos. Don’t let the size of their tacos and quesadillas fool you; they’re small but packed with flavors. It’s recommended to order multiple items for a complete meal.
- Price: You’re in luck – their dishes are pretty affordable. Each item costs just a few euros, and you can often snag their flavorful tacos for as low as €1. So, grab your Mexican feast from La Fábrica del Taco and make your day at the park even more delightful!
- Address: Carrer de Sardenya, 86, 08018
In Barcelona, delicious dining doesn’t have to cost a fortune. The city offers a rich food scene with many affordable restaurants. From Asian to vegetarian to traditional Catalan cuisine, there’s something for everyone. These eateries prove that enjoying tasty meals can be simple, authentic, and well-priced. So, next time you’re in Barcelona, explore these spots. Your taste buds and wallet will be happy. Remember, to truly enjoy Barcelona’s food scene, eat like the locals do. Bon profit!