Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (MNAC)
The Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (MNAC) in Barcelona’s Palau Nacional offers you a journey through 1000 years of Catalan art.
The Palau Nacional, which hosts the museum since 1990, has been built for the 1929 Barcelona World Exhibition. Coming from plaza Espanya you are entering avenida Maria Cristina through the two 47 metres tall Venetian towers. You will see the MNAC sitting atop the slopes of Montjuic just above the popular Magic Fountain (Fontana Magica).
The views from MNAC’s terrace over Barcelona alone are worth a visit, so bring enough time to enjoy this aspect of the museum as well. The Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya was created by combining the collection of the Museu d’Art de Catalunya and the Museu d’Art Modern.
Today, the museum also hosts a Thyssen-Bornemisza collection from the museum in Madrid. Spanning eight centuries of European painting, it is considered to be one of the most valuable private arts collections in the world.
The further sections of MNAC are:
- Catalan Romanesque art from the 11th to 13th centuries
- Catalan and Italian Gothic art from the 13th to 15th centuries
- European Renaissance and Baroque art from the 16th to 18th century
- 19th and 20th century modern art collections
- the Gabinet de Dibuixos i Gravats (Department of Drawings and Prints)
- the Gabinet Numismàtic de Catalunya (Catalonia Department of Numismatics; coinage and medals)
- Biblioteca d’Història de l’Art (Art History Library)
- the Department of Photography
Further information you can find on the official website at: www.mnac.cat
Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (MNAC) – Facts
Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday, from 10:00 to 19:00. Sunday and public holidays, from 10:00 to 14:30. January 1st, May 1st and December 25th closed.
Admission: 8.50 Euros
How to get to MNAC?
By metro take the green line L3 or the red line L1 to Plaza Espanya. From there you will already see MNAC up on Montjuic. It is a ten-minute walk down Avenida Maria Cristina and then up the escalators.
If you are taking the Barcelona Bus Turistic get off at stop MNAC.